- Painter: Jan ten Kate Sr.(1850-1929);
- Completed in 1900;
- Oil on canvas;
- 210 cm x 140 cm.
Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962) is portrayed full-length as a young monarch. In her hand she carries a palm branch as a symbol of peace, in the background the beach.
Queen Wilhelmina is the second cousin of the Russian Tsar Nicholas II. At the time, she made Huis Ten Bosch available for the First Hague Peace Conference in 1899. At this meeting, it was decided to establish the Permanent Court of Arbitration and to build a Peace Palace for this purpose. Wilhelmina was present at the opening of the Peace Palace in 1913.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.