The Peace Palace is home to two judicial institutions, the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration. The Palace was built in 1913 to house the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) and a library. Soon after, they were joined by the Permanent Court of International Justice, the official court of the League of Nations. After the Second World War, when the League of Nations was dissolved and the United Nations was founded, the International Court of Justice of the United Nations (ICJ) took up residence in the Palace.
Both in their own way, these two courts work towards the same goal on a daily basis: the peaceful settlement of disputes through arbitration, mediation, or adjudication.
International Court of Justice