The ‘Van Karnebeek Fountain’ is a monument located on the corner of the square named Carnegieplein and the street Scheveningseweg in The Hague, a few meters away from the Peace Palace. This fountain with basin and accompanying bench was created in 1915 to commemorate the opening of the Peace Palace in 1913. The fountain is named after the first president of the Carnegie Foundation, A.P.C. van Karnebeek. The earthenware tiles contain the names of the board of the Carnegie Foundation, the names of the building committee and the names of the architect of the Peace Palace, Louis Cordonnier, and the executing architect J.A.G. van der Steur.
The fountain was made by the well-known sculptor Willem Coenraad Brouwer (1877-1933) and consists of brick, terracotta and glazed tiles. Willem Brouwer was director of the “N.V. Fabriek van Brouwers aardewerk” in Leiderdorp, Netherlands, and had a significant role in the decoration of the Peace Palace.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.