Ferdinand Bol (1616-1682), who was a follower of Rembrandt, received an order from Jacoba Lampsins in the early 1660s. She was a wealthy widow and asked Bol to make a series of wall sized paintings for the reception room for her residence at the Nieuwe Gracht in Utrecht. The subjects of the paintings all fit in with the family history of the moneyed Jacoba Lampsins, but also with the higher aspirations of this lady in Utrecht in the Golden Age.
Well over two hundred years later, the paintings were removed from the residence in Utrecht and they were donated to the Rijksmuseum. At the beginning of the 20th century, the museum gave four out of five paintings in perpetual loan to the Peace Palace. Three of the paintings were placed in the walls of the room that became known as the Bolroom later on, the fourth painting is located in an office on the ground floor.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.