- Artist: Unknown
- Location: Japanese Room
- Year of donation: 1932
- Material: Ivory, silver, wood
Thailand gifted a pair of elephant tusks, each fitted with a silver band bearing a plaque showing Siam’s coat of arms. The tusks bear the inscription “Don de SM. le Roi de Siam”.
At the time the tusks were donated, trade in ivory was not prohibited. Gifts made of ivory were a token of appreciation and unfortunately, ivory trade was a product of that time. Today, ivory trade is banned.
The tusks are a symbol of Thailand’s support for the Peace Palace and the work of the institutions housed in the Peace Palace. In addition to the tusks, Thailand also donated two pairs of ink sets made of silver with gilding and niello decoration.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.