- Artist: Jules Lagae (1862-1931)
- Location: Balustrade main staircase
- Year of donation: 1913
- Material: Bronze
In the early 20th century, Argentina was on the brink of war with neighboring country Chile. The border dispute was settled through international arbitration. The weapons were laid down and the material was melted down and used to fabricate a statue of Christ. This statue titled “Cristo Redentor de los Andes” now stands in the Andes Mountains, on the border between the two countries. A smaller copy of the statue was donated by Argentina to the Peace Palace. This bronze statue shows Christ as savior holding a cross on which the text “Crux Lux Mundi” (the cross is the light of the world) can be read. However, the statue is not linked to any religious beliefs because it is not meant to be a symbol of religion, but a symbol of peace.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.