- Artist: Unknown
- Location: Corridor in the Peace Palace
- Year of donation: 1987
- Material: Bronze, marble
Carlos Calvo (1824-1906) was an Argentine jurist and historian who was dedicated to the study of international law. He became known as the founder of the Calvo doctrine. The doctrine states that in international investment disputes, jurisdiction lies with the country where the investment is located. The purpose of the doctrine was to prevent the violent cash of personal claims or debts which was not uncommon at the time.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.