The vase of the Tsar
The nations represented at the Second Hague Peace Conference (1907) were asked to contribute to the new to be built Peace Palace. Many countries responded positively to this call and donated a work of art or a national product to decorate the building. The last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II, donated this impressive vase made of green jasper adorned with gilded ornaments.
The vase was made by the royal factory: La Manufacture Imperiale de Kolywan, and its design was made by Nicholas Lanceray. The Russian architect Louis Benois gave the assignment to produce the vase vase for the Peace Palace. The vase is decorated with gilded lionmasks and a two headed eagle, the coat of arms of the Romanov family.