During the “Second Hague Peace Conference” in 1907, the opportunity was taken to organize a solemn event around the laying of the foundation of the Peace Palace. The programme of 30 July 1907 shows that it must have been a grand event. No expense was spared and, of course, many important guests were present that day.
Mr van Karnebeek, president of the Carnegie Foundation, delivered a speech at the stone-laying on the importance of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and on the generosity of Andrew Carnegie. After this persuasive speech, the big moment arrived and the president of the conference, Baron de Nelidow, came forward and tapped the foundation stone three times with a silver towel, in the name of Tsar Nicholas, Queen Wilhelmina and the Peace Conference. Soon after the Second Peace Conference held its closing session, the construction of the Peace Palace started.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.