- Artist: Unknown
- Location: Corridor in the Peace Palace
- Year of donation: 1987
- Material: Bronze, marble
Carlos Calvo (1824-1906) was an Argentinian publicist and historian who devoted himself to the study of the law. He became known as the founder of the Calvo doctrine, a foreign policy doctrine that states that the jurisdiction in international investment disputes lies in the country in which the investment is located. It was initiated to prevent diplomatic or armed intervention to collect personal claims or debts, a practice not uncommon at the time.
Please click on the pictures in the gallery to enlarge them.